FirstPlay® Therapy Training
A New Parent-Child Play Therapy
Janet A. Courtney, PhD, Founder, FirstPlay® Therapy
Training in Touch
In this workshop practitioners learn how to facilitate respectful and caring touch in parent-child relationships by demonstrating the touch-based activities via a baby-doll for the FirstPlay® Infant Massage Storytelling and via a large stuffed animal, for example, in Kinesthetic Storytelling for older children. Practitioners also support respectful touch by teaching parents how to ask permission of the child (or even the infant) to touch. The practitioner therefore promotes the healing value of touch, but does not touch the child ~ thus removing the practitioner from any concerns of professional liability regarding the touching of children. Note that this training consists of experiential training exercises that involve the use of touch. For example, participants will practice Kinesthetic Storytelling® by drawing and telling a story on another participant’s back. In this way you will learn how to demonstrate and facilitate the techniques by role playing with other participants. By experiencing the touch activities you will also gain a sense of what a child client might feel and experience from receiving caring touch with their parents or caregivers.
FirstPlay® Therapy Benefits Parents and Children by:
- Promoting caring and respectful touch
- Enhancing attachment and bonding in relationships
- Building upon children’s inner strengths and resilience
- Teaching methods of focusing, calming and relaxation
- Boosting brain potential
- Inspiring fun and interactive storyteller-child activities
- Children learn how to give caring touch to others
- Promoting empathy in relationships
“When I teach the FirstPlay® caring touch storytelling activities to parents, my heart leaps in awe when I instantly see the positive responses of the infants and children come alive. And, then my heart melts even deeper when I observe the parent’s amazement to their children’s awakening.”Janet Courtney, PhD, FirstPlay® Founder
Certification Benefits to You
(All included in the workshop fee):
- Certification Designation: You may call and advertise yourself as a Certified FirstPlay® Therapy Practitioner as granted through Developmental Play & Attachment Therapies, Inc. (DPAT)
- Website Listing: DPAT will provide a free listing with your Professional Profile on the FirstPlay® Therapy website with a link to your website—which you can have updated at the time of renewal once a year.
- Advertise: You may advertise that you offer the services of FirstPlay® Therapy; FirstPlay® Infant (Baby) Massage Storytelling; and FirstPlay® Kinesthetic Storytelling® provided that you include the exact name and trademark symbols ® and ® in all advertising.
- Five Hours of Group or Individual Supervision or Consultation with Dr. Courtney: Certification requires the presentation of two case studies to be completed in the first year following the FirstPlay® Training course. This can be for FirstPlay® Infant Massage® and/or Kinesthetic Storytelling®. This is included in the price of the training prior to the first year renewal date.
- On-Going Quarterly Case Consultation. Attend free quarterly one hour confidential Group Case Consultations with Dr. Courtney via Conference Call or skype. The Case Consultation is offered as part of the on-going certification benefit.
- Endorsements and Referrals: When applicable, you may receive endorsements and referrals from DPAT.
- FirstPlay® Parent Handbook©: The FirstPlay® Parent Handbook© is designed so that you can teach the techniques of FirstPlay® Infant Massage Storytelling and FirstPlay® Kinesthetic Storytelling® to your clients. You will have the opportunity to purchase and customize the back cover of the FirstPlay® Parent Handbook© from DPAT for a reasonable fee. (This is covered under a separate licensing agreement.)
Certification is established to signify to professionals, referral sources, agencies, and consumers that a practitioner has met a level of competency in the techniques of FirstPlay® Thearpy. This Credential is given to Professionals who have:
- Completed the FirstPlay® Therapy 5-Day Intensive 36 hour Training.
- Demonstrated proficiency during the training in the practice of FirstPlay® Infant Massage Storytelling and in FirstPlay® Kinesthetic Storytelling®.
- Sign a credentialing statement agreeing to follow the ethical standards as outlined in the FirstPlay® Therapy training.
- Complete a 15 multiple choice question and answer assessment given at the end of the training that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the techniques, theory, ethics and other concepts learned in the training.
Requirements After training—(This needs to be completed within six months after the training and are included within your initial fee):
- Complete FIVE post-training parent-infant demonstrations. These can be with your clients and/or with family or friend volunteers—it’s up to you.
- Participate in FIVE group and/or individual case consultation/supervision conference call sessions with Dr. Courtney.
- Analyze three assigned parent-infant videos in relationship to attunement and answer questions regarding the process.
- Sign and return the FirstPlay® Therapy Practitioner Agreement.
- Certification is renewed once a year at which time you will fill out a brief questionnaire indicating your experiences and number of clients seen utilizing FirstPlay® in practice.
“Dr. Courtney’s storytelling approach promotes the value of therapeutic touch for helping children and in enhancing adult child relationships. “Louise Guerney, PhD
Check out our Parent Website for more about
FirstPlay Infant Massage Storytelling
The workshop includes the FirstPlay® Therapy Training Manual© consisting of ten chapter/modules that will be followed throughout the training. Training methods include lectures; touched-based experiential exercises; live demonstrations; role playing with other participants; journaling; and work in clay. Participants will also receive the FirstPlay® Parent-Child Manual© that will be used when training parents in the FirstPlay® Therapy methods. This parent manual is intended for participants to give to the parents and additional copies can be purchased at a minimal cost.
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Nearby lodging options available upon request
- Bring your own baby-doll and/or large stuffed animal
Early Bird Registration
- If you pay earlier than 3 weeks prior to training date Download brochure, fill out form, and return by mail Download Brochure To pay by check: Mail check with your completed form. Make check payable to: Developmental Play & Attachment Therapies or DPAT To pay with credit card / PayPal: Click below
- If you pay three weeks or less prior to training date Download brochure, fill out form, and return by mail Download Brochure To pay by check: Mail check with your completed form. Make check payable to: Developmental Play & Attachment Therapies or DPAT To pay with credit card / PayPal: Click below
Boynton Beach, Florida
(10 minute drive to the ocean)
Next Training Dates
October 24-28, 2017
Training Hours: 37
Florida Board Approved Continuing Education provider in Mental Health
and through the board of Massage Therapy (#1035);
and APT Approved Provider 10-287
Approved provider Florida State Board of Massage Therapy