Dr. Courtney has provided trainings in the area of child play therapy and psychotherapy including FirstPlay® Therapy; Developmental Play Therapy; Attachment-based play therapy; the Ethics of Touch in Child Play Therapy and Psychotherapy; StoryPlay® – Ericksonian Play Therapy; Nature-based play therapy; Family Play Therapy; Gestalt therapy; Qualitative research in play therapy; among other topics.
Please contact Dr. Courtney directly to learn more about the specific training topics and for rates and availability. Here are some of the agencies, institutions and organizations where Dr. Courtney has been invited to speak:
- Association for Play Therapy, Fresno, CA
- Play Therapy International, UK (World Congress on Child and Play Therapy)
- Florida Association for Play Therapy
- National Association of Social Workers
- Barry University Center for Professional Advancement, Miami, FL
- TEDx, Delray Beach, FL
- Florida Atlantic University
- Lynn University
- Saint Petersburg State University, Russia
- Children’s Home Society
- Institute for Child & Family Health,
- First Steps to Success: ARC of the Palm Beaches
- Department of Navy, WPB, FL
- Boys Town
- Boys Town
- Literacy Coalition of Palm Beach County
- The School District of Palm Beach County
- Palm Beach County Mental Health Association
- Children’s Services Council of Palm Beach County
- Parent-Child Center of the Palm Beaches
- Camelot Community Care
- Linking Forces, Miami, FL
- Hearts and Hope
- Catholic Charities,
- Center for Family Services
- AVDA (Aid to Victims of Domestic Violence)
- Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Oakwood Mental Health Center: Children’s School Outreach Program
- Association for Community Counseling
- Tykes and Teens of Martin County
- Cook County Family Services, Cook County, Chicago, IL
- Palm Beach County Health Care District
- SED-Network: Multiagency Network for Students with Severe Emotional Disturbances
- Visiting Nurse Association of Palm Beach County
- Children’s Case Management Organization
- Florida Department of Children and Families District 9
- Women in Distress
- Chrysalis Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Family Central, Broward County
Courtney, J. A., & Nolan, R. D. (2017). Touch in Child Counseling and Play Therapy: An Ethical and Clinical Guide. New York, NY: Routledge.
Courtney, J.A., & Mills, J. C. (2016). Utilizing the metaphor of nature as co-therapist in StoryPlay. Play Therapy, 11(1), 18-21.
Courtney, J.A. (Winter, 2015) FirstPlay® Therapy: Adapting Developmental Play Therapy as founded by Viola Brody to a New Age of Play Therapists: Implications for Training in Touch. The Playful Healer. Florida Association for Play Therapy Quarterly Newsletter.Courtney, J.A. (Author/Editor) The Magic Love Bug: Fun Interactive Stories for Parents and Children, Ages Pre-school to Six years. Publisher pending (A Kinesthetic Storytelling book including seven stories).
Courtney, J.A. (Author/Editor) Nessie’s Magic Rainbow Hug: Fun Interactive Stories for Parents and Children, Ages Six to Ten years. Publisher pending. (A Kinesthetic Storytelling book including six stories)
Courtney, J.A., & Gray, S. W. (2014, April). A Phenomenological Inquiry into Practitioner Experiences of Developmental Play Therapy: Implications for Training in Touch. International Journal of Play Therapy, 23(2), 114-129.Montgomery, C., & Courtney, J.A. (2015). Botanical therapy: Arranging nature in restorative patterns. Journal of Horticulture Therapy. Accepted for publication pending revisions; projected publication date, Winter, 2015.
Courtney, J.A. (Fall, 2013). Developmental Play Therapy and Kinesthetic Storytelling® FirstPlay TOUCH Activities help Children with Autism. Autism Community Magazine.
Courtney, J.A. (2013). The Magic Rainbow Hug. Palm Beach Gardens, FL: Developmental Play & Attachment Therapies. (Illustrations, Siblings, Grace & Ben Myers)
Courtney, J.A. (2013). The Magic Rainbow Hug Activity Book. Palm Beach Gardens, FL: Developmental Play & Attachment Therapies. (Illustrations, Kristen Krumenacker)
Courtney, J.A. (Winter, 2013) Change Your Script, Change Your Life. Nothing But Good News Magazine. Vol.8 (1) p. 12. (Online Magazine).
Courtney, J.A. (2012). Touching autism through developmental play therapy. In L. Rubin & L. Gallo-Lopez (Eds.), Play-based interventions for children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders (pp. 137-157). New York: Routledge
Courtney, J.A., & Gray, S. W. (2011, Fall). Perspectives of a child therapist as revealed through therapist drawings. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association. 28(3), 132-139.
Courtney, J.A. (2011, Fall). The touchy topic of touch: Implications for developmental play therapy training and other play therapy modalities that use touch as a therapeutic intervention. Journal of the International and UK Societies of Play and Creative Arts Therapies.
Courtney, J.A. Children win in collaborative divorce: The role of the child specialist. (posted November
7, 2011). The Collaborative Divorce Team Palm Beach County. http://www.collaborativedivorceteam.com/role-child-specialist-collaborative-divorce
Courtney, J. A. (2010, May). Research analysis of child psychotherapists and play therapist’s experiences of developmental play therapy training. Paper presented at the 2010 International Play Therapy World Congress. Marrakech, Morocco.
Courtney, J.A. (Play Therapy, 2011). Alzheimer’s and Play Therapy: A case study.
Courtney, J.A. (June, 2008) The perfect dollhouse. Play Therapy. 3(2), 6-7.
Courtney, J. A. (2006). Assessing Practitioner Experiences of Developmental Play Therapy (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Barry University, Miami Shores, FLCourtney, J.A. (October, 2004). Tribute to Viola Brody. Paper presented at the general assembly of the 21st Annual Association for Play Therapy, Denver, CO.
Courtney, J.A. (Fall, 2003). My time with Vi Brody. The Playful Healer: Newsletter of the Florida Association for Play Therapy.
Schmitz, C. L., & Courtney, J. A. (1999). Out of School Care Evaluation of Capacity.
Children Services Council, Palm Beach County. Academy for Better Communities, Barry University.Courtney, J.A. (Winter, 1997). Encopresis helped by play therapy: A case study. The Playful Healer, 2-3, Newsletter of the Florida Association for Play Therapy.